- Masters in Library Science (MLS), McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- BA in History, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Boston University, Project Management Certificate, Skillman, New Jersey
- Human Subjects Protection Certificate (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative), New York, New York
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL), 2004 -
Member of the Web Editorial Board, 2012-2014
Member of the Scholarly Communications Committee, 2014 - 2016
- JoVE Library Advisory Board Member, May 2015 -
- NNLM/MAR (Library - Full Member)
Member of Project Team, 2011-2014
Member of the Academic Special Advisory Group (SAG), 2014 - 2016
- Medical Library Association, 1990-2002, 2008 -
NY/NJ MLA Chapter: Member: 2009 -
Scholarly Communications Committee: Member, 2012 - 2015
Representative from MLA Scholarly Communications Committee to AAHSL Scholarly Communications Committee, 2013 - 2014
Cancer Librarian Section (Member 2004 - ), Chair-Elect 2014/15, Chair 2015/16, Past-chair 2016/17
Section Council: Member 2015-2017
MLA InSight Initiative Program Committee: Member 2017 - 2018. Engaging Users in a Disruptive Era, March 6–7, 2018, Chicago, IL
Consumer and Patient Health Information Section: Member 2008 -
Hospital Libraries section: Member 2008 -
Research Section: Member 2014 -
- Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO), 2004 -
Hospital Library Services Program Advisory Council Member, 2011 -
- New England Journal of Medicine Library Advisory Board Member, 2014-2018
- NYC Usability Professionals' Association, 2007 - 2012
- Oxford University Press Library Advisory Board Member, March 2015 -
- Special Libraries Association, 1984 -
Public Relations Advisory Committee (PRAC) Member, 2012 - 2014
Biological Life Sciences Division: Vendors’ Relations Committee, 2011 -
(Chair, 2013 - )
- Springer’s International Health Advisory Committee Member, 2012 -
- Third Iron PubMed Advisory Board Member, May 2018 -
- Toastmasters International, 2010 -
- Toastmasters(at)MSKCC (closed club), VP Membership, 2010 - 2013
- Founding member of Toastmasters@MSKCC, 2010 -
- Caitlin Cricco, Springer Nature, New York, NY; Nadine Dexter, AHIP, Harriet F. Ginsburg Health Sciences Library, University of Central Florida–Orlando; Donna Gibson, Medical Library, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; and Rich Lampert, Doody Consulting , Philadelphia, PA. Report from the InSight Initiative Summit: Leveraging Specialized Discovery Tools to Maximize User Engagement, Released: June 18, 2018 11:50 AM
- Larsen SC, Beardsley CE, Brisco A, Gibson DS. Utilization of Client Survey Results to Enhance Workflows in a Changing Document Delivery Landscape. Poster session presented at the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, May 13-18, 2018.
- Boyce L, Gibson DS, Matsoukas K. "Chapter 7: Role in evidence-based practice" in, A Practical Guide for Informationists, Supporting Research and Clinical Practice. Edited by Antonio P. DeRosa. Cambridge, MA: Chandos Publishing, 2018. p. 71-81.
- Gibson DS, DeRosa AP, Hernandez M, Matsoukas K. Evaluating the Impact of Mediated Literature Searches at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Med Ref Serv Q. 2017 Jul-Sep;36(3):229-239.
- Hernandez M, Gibson D. After Magnet Accreditation: Developing Best Practices and Resources for an Evidence-Based Research Environment. Poster session presented at the 9th International Evidence Based Library & Information Practice Conference, Philadelphia, PA, June 18-21, 2017.
- Draper JW, Gibson D, Kavanagh Webb K. (2017, May 18). High-impact library services and outreach. Webinar, Elsevier Library Connect.
- Gibson D, Altieri S. “The role of academic librarians in ending the reproducibility crisis” Part of Innovation Lightning Round Three: Out of the Box Thinking/Entrepreneurship and Technology/Trends Thread. Presented at the Charleston Conference: October 31 - November 5, 2016, Charleston, SC.
- Brunner TH, Kristyn DiFortuna KD, Michael LeTang ML, Murphy J, Stemplewicz K, Magda Kovacs MK, DeRosa AP, Gibson DS, Ginex PK. Using Technology to Give Patients a Voice After Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2016 Oct 1;20(5):474-476.
- DeRosa AP, Gibson DS, Morris EA. Through the eyes of the Informationist: Identifying information needs of the Breast Imaging Service at a tertiary medical center specializing in cancer. Health Informatics J. 2017 Sep;23(3):208-217.
- Gibson DS, DeRosa AP, Hernandez M, Matsoukas K. Assessing the Impact of Literature Search Services: Supporting Our User Community’s Work Productivity. Poster session presented at the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON, Canada, May 13-18, 2016.
- Gibson D, Fladger A, Mulcahy NL. (2016, February 11). EBooks in Practice: Digital Content and Hospital Libraries, A Panel Discussion with Hospital Libraries. Webinar, Rittenhouse Open Online Course.
- Gibson DS, Hernandez M, & Draemel A. Destination Library: Validating the Importance of Physical Space. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2015 July;15(3):251-261.
- Gibson DS, Schaller-Demers DS. NIH Public Access Policy: Compliance Starts With You. Poster session presented at the MSK Research Administrators' Professional Day; 2015 May 29, New York, NY.
- Gibson DS, Mears K, Rambo N, Rosenzweig M. Presenters for “Growing ORCID: Enhancing the Scholarly Communication Landscape.” Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association. Austin, TX. 2015 May 15-20.
- Brunner T, DiFortuna K, LeTang M, Monson B, Murphy J, Stemplewicz K, Kovacs M, West L, Ginex P, DeRosa AP, Gibson DS, Jewell S, Bhuvanesh S. Giving Patients A Voice: The Use of Technology in the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) for Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. Poster session presented at ASPAN's 34th National Conference; 2015 April 26-30, San Antonio, TX.
- Gibson DS. Hospital Library Service Program Keynote Speaker. “Are Scholars Getting Enough Attention? Understanding Altmetrics Scores” Metropolitan New York Library Council’s (METRO) Annual Conference. Baruch College, New York, NY. 2015 January 15.
- Neill US, Thompson CB, Gibson DS. Assessing Research Productivity: A new way of evaluating academics’ research output using easily obtained data. The Scientist 2015 Jan 1; 29(1): 41682.
- Gibson DS, Draemel A, and Hernandez M. Library as Place: Why Our Users Still Come! Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association; 2014 May 16 - 21, Chicago, IL.
- Feltes C, Gibson D. Contributed as a presenter for "A Symposium on Public Access to Scholarly Research." Presentation entitled "NIH PMC Submission: A Tale of Two Institutions". Tri-Institutional Collaboration Network (TCN): Carson Family Auditorium, Greenberg Building, The Rockefeller University. 2014 April 16.
- Jewell S, Gibson DS. Nine Steps to a Systematic Review Service. MLA News. 2014 Feb;54(2):11.
- Beth A. Lewis, Donna Gibson, Nancy A. Cunningham. "NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers: The Library's Role." Presentation given at Springer's Health Library Advisory Summit, Lisbon, Portugal, 2013 September 19.
- Professional Development Workshop – A.I.M Higher. Session e-Content Practitioner Panelist, SLA NY and Springer, June 25, 2013, New York, NY. Blog post: SLA NY Aims High with Mary Ellen Bates and Springer Experts.
- Hernandez M, Gibson DS. Developing an Evidence-Based Practice Library Resource Toolkit and Training Program for Nurses. Poster session presented at the Oncology Nursing Society Annual Congress; 2013 April 25 – 28; Washington, DC.
- Lyons T; Gibson DS. Public Access, Open Access: Outlining Key Differences. MLA News. 2013 Mar; 53(3):1,3.
- Pollock L; Feltes C; Gibson D; Miller H; Norton C. Data management: Librarians or science informationists? Nature. 2012 Oct 18; 490(7420):343. [Correspondence] Supplementary information
- DeRosa A, Hernandez M, Jewell S, Sulimanoff I, Gibson DS. LibGuides: Developing Custom Research Solutions for Our User Community. Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association; 2012 May 18 - 23; Seattle, WA.
- Feltes C, Gibson D, Miller H, Norton, CN, Pollock L. Envisioning the Future of Science Libraries at Academic Research Institutions: A Discussion. The Future of Research Libraries - April 1 - 3, 2012, Banbury Center, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
- Sulimanoff I, Hernandez M, Gibson DS. The Clinical Medical Librarian Program: The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Experience. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2011;11(4):338-47.
- Sulimanoff I, Hernandez M, Gibson DS. The Clinical Medical Librarian (CML) Program: The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Experience. Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association; 2010 May 21 - 26; Washington, DC.
(Recipient: 2010 Hospital Librarian Research Award)
- Sarkozy A, Jewell S, Gibson DS. Clinicians On-the-Go: Creating an Effective Mobile Strategy for Delivering Medical Library Services. Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association; 2010 May 21 - 26; Washington, DC.
- Gibson DS, Beardsley C, et al. Developing a Library Blog: Sustaining a Rich and Dynamic Communication Channel for Our User Community. Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the Medical Library Association; 2010 May 21 - 26; Washington, DC.
- Gibsond DS. KMKS04:The Customer Focus, CRM for Knowledge Services (Online course). Guest Participant and Speaker; 2008 May 7.
- Gibsond DS. Using Scopus. Session panelist at Annual Conference of the Special Libraries Association; 2007 June; Denver, CO.
- Gibsond DS. Scopus Road Show. Presented at sessions; 2006 August 1 - 3; Washington, DC; New York, NY; and Boston, MA.
- Gordon-Conyers D, Gibson D, Sparks J. Through the Looking Glass: Content Integration and Access – Staff Workflows and Client Pathways. Poster session presented at Annual Conference of the North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG); 2006 June.
- Gibson, D. Case Study 4: A Canadian Pharmaceutical Firm. In Karen Kreizman, Establishing an Information Center: A Practical Guide. London: Bowker Saur; 1999. p. 187-192.
Improving the user experience, website and survey design, web 2.0 and social networking applications, the power of the semantic web, user assessment studies, bibliometrics, scholarly communication (open access, ORCID initiative, institutional repositories), knowledge management (sharing institutional knowledge, story-telling techniques, lessons learned, knowledge cafés), project management, developing agile teams, leadership models