Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
As Associate Librarian, User Services, my key areas of responsibility are reference and consultations, document delivery, and user engagement. More specifically, my team and I are focused on delivering the best user experience to our library community and ensuring that we meet and exceed their information needs. I work to develop and execute plans to incorporate technology to support the modern library, as well as implement new/improved operational processes, workflow activities, and policies. I also oversee the marketing and communication functions of the library.
- Master of Arts, Criminal Justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York, NY (2017-2021)
- Master of Information Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada (2007-2009)
- Bachelor of Arts, The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA (2001-2005)
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- "Moral Distress Among Consumer Health Information Professionals: An Exploratory Study." (June 2021). Evidence Based Library and Information Practice. 16:2(45-69). Robin O'Hanlon, Katelyn Angell, Samantha Walsh.
- "Radical Trachelectomy for the Treatment of Early Stage Cervical Cancer: A Systematic Review." (September 2020). Obstetrics and Gynecology. 136(3):533-542. Evan Smith, Ashley S Moon, Robin O'Hanlon, Mario M. Leiato Jr., Yukio Sonoda, Nadeem R Abu-Rustum, Jennifer J Mueller.
- "Publishing habits and perceptions of open access publishing and public access amongst clinical and research fellows." (January 2020). Journal of the Medical Library Association. 108(1): 47-58. Robin O'Hanlon, Jeanine McSweeney, Samuel Stabler.
- "Addressing depression, burnout and suicide in oncology physicians." (May 2019). American Society of Clinical Oncology Education Book. 39, 590-98. Daniel C. McFarland, DO; Fay Hlubocky, PhD, MA; Bibiana Susaimanickam, MD; Robin O’Hanlon, MIS; and Michelle Riba, MD, MS.
- "Responding to a New Generation of Proprietary Study Resources in Medical Education." (April 2019). Journal of the Medical Librarian Association. 107(2): 251-257. Robin O'Hanlon, Gregory Laynor.
- "Content Marketing for Libraries: Case Study." Journal of the Medical Library Association. (October 2016). 104(4): 342-345. Gali Halevi, Robin O'Hanlon.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications:
Conference and Meeting Presentations:
- Medical Library Association, Virtual Conference, 2020. "Moral Distress Related to Ethical Dilemmas Among Consumer Health Information Professionals" with Katelyn Angell and Samantha Walsh.
- Metro New York Library Council "The Future is Open, But How Do We Get There? Symposium, New York, NY, 2019 - "Author Processing Charges: Barriers to Open Research, Barriers to Progress."
- American Library Association, New Orleans, LA, 2018 - “Selling Your Story: Best Practices for Library Marketing Videos" with Heather Dalal and Karen Yacobucci
- Dartmouth College Library Conference, Hanover, NH, 2017 - “When Outreach Met Instruction: A Cross-Team MPH Focus Group Success Story.”
- Library Association of the City University of New York Annual Institute, New York, NY, 2017 - Co-facilitated dialogue “Engaging Wikipedia in a Post-Truth World: Theories & Strategies fo Information Professionals.”
- Library Collective Unconference, Knoxville, TN, 2017 - “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: At Your Library.”
- Metro Library Council Annual Conference, NY, NY, 2017 - “Will This Be On the Test? Rethinking Information Literacy Course Design for High School Students.”
- American Library Association, Orlando, FL, June 2016 - Presented ALA JobList Career Development Workshop, “Ace the Interview: Land a Librarian Job.”
- ACRL Library Marketing & Outreach Interest Group Greater NYC Fall Meeting, October 2015 - “Best Practices for Video Marketing for Academic Libraries.”
- East Coast WMS User Group Gathering, Charlottesville, VA, June 2015 - “Enter the Matrix: Understanding Circulation Configuration.”
- Northwest ILL Conference, Portland, OR September, 2013 - “The Kids Are Alright: Developing a Comprehensive Training Program for ILL Student Assistants.”
- American Library Association Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2013 - Presented at FEAST (Future and Emerging Access Services Trends), “Customer Journey Mapping for Libraries.”
- Medical Library Association, Virtual Conference, 2020. "'We Cordially Invite You': Characteristics of Email Solicitations from Potentially Predatory Conferences" with Donna Gibson, Johanna Goldberg, and Celine Soudant.
- Medical Library Association, Virtual Conference, 2020. "National Institutes of Health (NIH) Funded-Research: Do Authors Always Publish in Reputable Journals?" with Konstantina Matsoukas, Lindsay Boyce, Donna Gibson, Kendra Godwin, Johanna Goldberg, Marina Chilov, and Celine Soudant.
- Medical Library Association, Chicago, IL, 2019 - "'I Want to Be Open, But How Can I?' Publication Habits and Perceptions of Open Access Publishing Amongst Clinical Fellows." Poster presentation.
- Medical Library Association, Chicago, IL, 2019 - "How Lit Is It? An Analysis of Research Approaches in Health Sciences Libraries." Poster presentation with Barnaby Nicolas, Rachel Pinotti, and Judy Stribling.
- Medical Library Association, Chicago, IL, 2019 - "COI, Oh My: The Current Conflict of Interest Landscape and the Potential Role of Information Professionals in Supporting Research Quality." Poster Presentation with Donna Gibson.
- North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries Conference, New Haven, CT, 2016 - Poster presentation with Rebecca Snyder – “Rethinking Med Student PubMed Instruction: Enhancing Learning through Engagement & Enjoyment.”
- UC Merced Assessment as Research Symposium, March 2014 - Poster presentation with Sara Davidson Squibb, Elizabeth McMunn-Tetangco, Susan Mikkelsen - “Using Scholarly Sources: Are Students as Prepared as They Think They Are?”
Medical Library Association member (2016-present)
- Cancer Librarians Section, Member (2018- present); Chair Elect (2020-2021)
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section, Nominating Committee Chair (2019)
- Research Training Institute Fellow (2018)
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section, Chair (2017-2018)
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section, Chair Elect (2016-2017)
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section, Consumer Connections newsletter editor (2016-2018)
- Consumer Health Information Specialization, Level II
Association of College and Research Libraries member (2012-present)
American Library Association member (2007-present)
User engagement & outreach, consumer health information, health literacy, open access, and reentry among older formerly incarcerated individuals.