Skip to Main Content
Addressing Equity and Building Capacity
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Health Equity
- Part of the larger CDC COVID-19 site, this page introduces health equity, especially considerations for racial and ethnic minorities and how COVID-19 has affected these groups disproportionately, and proposes strategies for how these challenges can be met.
- American Public Health Association (APHA): COVID-19 and Equity
- Highlights how COVID-19 has exacerbated the health inequities already entrenched in the United States, discusses the importance of addressing the root cause in current and future strategies, and provides background information on the impact for different groups.
- American Psychological Association (APA): Bias, Discrimination, and Equity Resources
- Wide collection of resources on communities, databases to search, journal articles, and webinars.
- Health Equity Initiative: COVID-19 and Health Equity Resources
- Guidance, trainings, and resources for centering health equity during the COVID-19 crisis.
- World Trade Organization (WTO): The Economic Impact of COVID-19 on Women in Vulnerable Sectors and Economies
- Report on how COVID-19 has affected women globally, especially within least-developed and developing economies.
- Health Equity Tracker
- Learn about health equity and use the data tracker to explore COVID-19 rates and relationships across the United States, either by county, state, or territory.
Thinking About Communication
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD): COVID-19: Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communication Access Recommendations for the Hospital
- Document that outlines the communication barriers that deaf, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind patients may experience when seeking medical care during the COVID-19 pandemic, and how medical facilities and professionals can implement critical recommendations to meet these needs.
- Widgit Software: Critical Care Covid-19 Communication Chart
- Designed with the Speech and Language Therapy Team at Weston General Hospital in England, this colorful symbol board helps patients who are critically ill with COVID-19 communicate with medical staff, and is available by PDF in many languages, with some also available as a talking version.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Communication Toolkit
- COVID-19 topics in different languages and formats for migrants, refugees, or anyone who'd prefer information in a language other than English.
- COVID-19 Communication Network
- A global selection of communication materials searchable by resource, audience, or topic.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine: Lessons from COVID-19 on Executing Communications and Engagement at the Community Level During a Health Crisis
- Paper from late 2021 that explores the perspectives of public health and communications practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic and how we might prepare for future public health crises.